Stage 1: Making a sun infused oil
- Place a handful of rose petals (from about two roses) in a screw-top jar or kilner jar (be sure to use scented, organic roses or roses from your own garden that you know haven't been sprayed)
- Cover the petals with just enough almond oil to cover them all, pressing the petals down into the oil. If you don't have almond oil, any nut or vegetable oil will do
- Place the jar on a sunny windowsill for 5 - 10 days, then strain of the mixture through clean muslin, squeezing the petals to get all the oil from the mix.
- You've now made a sun-infused oil of Rose - well done! Retain the oil for stage two.
Stage 2: Making the lip balm
- Pour 50ml of your sun-infused oil into a pan
- Add 1-2 tsp of beeswax
- GENTLY warm the oil until the beeswax dissolves
- Add 1/2 tsp of Vit E oil (optional)
- Add 1/2 tsp Honey
- Add 5-10 drops of orange
- Whisk vigorously to disperse the honey and quickly pour into small, sterilised screw top jars
- Once cool, and solid, screw lids on
This lip balm is perfect for soothing damaged or dry lips as it is soothing, anti-inflammatory and mildly antiseptic. It will keep perfectly well for 6 months.
You can easily adapt this recipe by using any medicinal flower petals, such as Marigold or lavender, for example, or adding your favourite essential oil.