- A healthy diet and lifestyle is of paramount importance for a strong immune system.
- Foods rich in vitamin A, C and Zinc and antioxidants – a variety of different fruits, salads and vegetables – are essential for the immune system. In cold weather home made soups and stews are warming, comforting meals.
- If your diet lacks key nutrients, or just to give your body a boost, now is the time to try a course of Multi vitamins. A month’s supply of a good quality supplement may be enough to boost your defences.
- Exercise is also important; it keeps your body strong and better able to fight off illness, as well as keeping you warm on chilly winter days.
- The plant Echinacea stimulates the body to produce interferon, the body’s own anti-viral defense. Here at Vitality Plus we stock a range of Echinacea products. Just pop in for advice.
- Bee propolis is a powerful anti-bacterial and anti-viral medicine. One of our most trusted suppliers, from just over the border in Yorkshire, provide us with a range of propolis products.
- Garlic has similar properties to propolis and supports the body to overcome viral and bacterial infections.
- A tea made from the garden herb Thyme helps the body to get rid of excess catarrh and clears and disinfects the lungs.
- Use spices like ginger and cayenne pepper generously because they have a warming effect.
- A good fever is a powerful healing response and should not be suppressed. It helps the body to overcome infections and prevents them from spreading further. The key is to manage the fever but not to suppress it. Be especially careful with children – always seek medical advice for babies with a fever and for any child whose temperature is over 38° for 3 days. See http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/childrenfever.htm for more information.
- Plenty of rest and sleep will support the healing process.
How to avoid bugs and recover more quickly if you do catch one.
These pages are written by one of our resident herbalists, Tracey to provide information on common herbs